Oil/Gas/Mineral rights lease

Question
QUESTION: My family has several thousand acres in SW Kansas leased to one of the major oil companies. Our 3+3 year lease expires in May 2015. Question is if they choose to renew and submit a new offer how much lead time do they typically give themselves? 3-6 months? Thanks in advance, hopefully this question is not to general.

ANSWER: Hello Keith,
Your question is difficult to answer because many times when an Operator has intention to drill a well they have plenty of lead time, and other times an unexpected issue delays that date further down the road to closer to when leases are going to expire.

However, most oil and gas leases need to be read very carefully because the language provides that an Operator only has to 'commence operations to begin drilling a well', and the well does not have to be 'spud', i.e., a drillbit penetrating the ground, to maintain the oil and gas leases beyond the primary term [or that term extended to beyond the primary term.

Answering your question with more of a direct response however, I would say an Operator would approach you 90 days prior to the expiration of the primary term to begin negotiations to renew your lease.

I hope my answer provides you with information that is helpful.

Thank you for asking me.

QUESTION: Thanks for your excellent answer.

One more curious question... Suppose you have two separate mineral rights owners with adjacent properties. Can a horizontal well be drilled on the neighboring property into your land? Is that something that is monitored to prevent it from happening? One would assume there would be some type of violation if it occurred. Not something that has happened but a curious thought with the advent of horizontal drilling.

Answer
Keith,
This is a great question.

In the recent years, many Operators have revised their standard oil, gas and mineral leases to include language that allows the Operator to use the surface of a property to drill down vertically, and then turn and drill horizontally which allows the bottom hole to end up under another property owner's lands.  

This is referred to as subsurface wellbore rights.  

Unfortunately, only the property owner where the bottom hole location is, is credited with the production from the well, even though, another property owner's surface was used to drill down vertically initially.

It is my understanding, the only way a subsurface wellbore can be allowed by the landowner whose property is where the drillbit penetrates the surface, is by the inclusion of this additional subsurface wellbore language in the lease.  An oil, gas and mineral lease that does not include a subsurface wellbore provision would not allow this.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you and others.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL