You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights


My boyfriend was recently left some mineral rights in a trust from his grandmother.  She has since passed away and he was left the trustee of the trust.  He has gotten several different explanations on what to do.  He is going to do a quit claim deed to get the trust just in his name. My question, would a mineral deed be better for this situation?  The mineral rights are non producing.  How would he start to see if they would even be worth checking into? I am not even sure where to even start with it all and neither is he!  We just had an attorney tell us the cheapest way to transfer them would be the quit claim deed since there is no money involved.  Thank you for your time!

Quitclaim deed should work just fine really, if he wants to/needs to dissolve the trust. If the trust doesn't have to be dissolved there may be advantages to keeping them in trust. Check with your attorney and/or accountant on that.

I would probably at least file something in the county where the mineral rights are located stating that he is now the owner/trustee. That would put landmen etc. on notice that they should contact him rather than his grandmother. A QCD would accomplish this as well. I would have an attorney look at all this and draw up the QCD for him though. He/she would know best how to convey these officially to him.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.