Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights

Question
My boyfriend was recently left some mineral rights in a trust from his grandmother.  She has since passed away and he was left the trustee of the trust.  He has gotten several different explanations on what to do.  He is going to do a quit claim deed to get the trust just in his name. My question, would a mineral deed be better for this situation?  The mineral rights are non producing.  How would he start to see if they would even be worth checking into? I am not even sure where to even start with it all and neither is he!  We just had an attorney tell us the cheapest way to transfer them would be the quit claim deed since there is no money involved.  Thank you for your time!

Answer
Quitclaim deed should work just fine really, if he wants to/needs to dissolve the trust. If the trust doesn't have to be dissolved there may be advantages to keeping them in trust. Check with your attorney and/or accountant on that.

I would probably at least file something in the county where the mineral rights are located stating that he is now the owner/trustee. That would put landmen etc. on notice that they should contact him rather than his grandmother. A QCD would accomplish this as well. I would have an attorney look at all this and draw up the QCD for him though. He/she would know best how to convey these officially to him.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott