Oil/Gas/oil royalties transfer in kansas

Question
Can you help me transfer my deceased wife's oil royalties in Russell Co. Kansas? It's small but still

receiving check from producer.

Answer
You'll need to notify the operator of the well that your wife is deceased and you inherited her mineral rights. You'll need to "prove" to them you inherited them by submitting a copy of her probate or some other acceptable paperwork stating that you are the heir to her mineral rights. You may need to get her will probated in order to effect the change. If she didn't have a will you may still need to get her estate probated in the state where the minerals are located in order to effect the transfer. A probate is basically just an official court document stating who inherited what (i.e a "final decree of distribution" etc.) If there's a will involved then that will be part of the probate. If no will, then the state's intestacy laws will determine who gets what but you still may need to get her estate probated in order to have a judge sign off on the intestate transfer by issuing a final decree etc.

Once you've satisfied them as to your ownership they should begin paying you instead of her estate. Check with an attorney if you are unsure how to go about transferring to your name.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott