You are here:

Oil/Gas/oil royalties transfer in kansas


Can you help me transfer my deceased wife's oil royalties in Russell Co. Kansas? It's small but still

 receiving check from producer.

You'll need to notify the operator of the well that your wife is deceased and you inherited her mineral rights. You'll need to "prove" to them you inherited them by submitting a copy of her probate or some other acceptable paperwork stating that you are the heir to her mineral rights. You may need to get her will probated in order to effect the change. If she didn't have a will you may still need to get her estate probated in the state where the minerals are located in order to effect the transfer. A probate is basically just an official court document stating who inherited what (i.e a "final decree of distribution" etc.) If there's a will involved then that will be part of the probate. If no will, then the state's intestacy laws will determine who gets what but you still may need to get her estate probated in order to have a judge sign off on the intestate transfer by issuing a final decree etc.

Once you've satisfied them as to your ownership they should begin paying you instead of her estate. Check with an attorney if you are unsure how to go about transferring to your name.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]