You are here:

Oil/Gas/mineral rights


My deceased wife's grandfather has mineral rights  Metcalf 25-2wx in 36-18N-3E in Woodford Spud. in Payne County. How do we go about determining how to get the rights switched to the family and determining worth. Calyx is paying into MOEA

You will need to find out who is paying on the interest and then contact them. If they pay by record title you will be required to provide probate documents or an Affidavit of Heirship which has been recorded in Payne County. I suppose that Calyx is the operator and / or purchaser. You would the want to contact them to get guidance as to their specific requirements for transferring an interest to the proper heirs. In most cases you will need to sign a division order once all probate documentation has been approved and a transfer is made.

You also want them to stop reporting funds as unclaimed. You can usually do this with a simple call to operator / purchaser as you gather documents. I'm not familiar with MOEA but believe it is somehow tied to the Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Department. Typically when funds are escheated to the state, after 3 years or so, you can reclaim them by establishing ownership of the reported interest/property. In your case you should just provide the same recorded probate or affidavit of heirship.

As for valuation you may be able to ask the operator / purchaser. My company doesn't over valuations but refers owners to companies who purchase interests. You can also consult an Oil & Gas attorney for additional advice or suggestions if you feel the size of the interest justifies the expense. You do not need a third party to help you get your funds from the state. They just charge you a fee and sometimes try to cheat you out of your interest / future revenue.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jason J. Alexander


I can answer oil and gas division order questions. I am most knowledgeable about as the purchaser side of the oil and condensate production. I can offer suggestions regarding probate and basic transfers of working, override, and royalty interests. DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer. I have seem and know what my company for instance accepts pertaining to these matters. Being from the purchasing end (and not the operator side) I do not have much experience with calculations or valuing property or minerals. I do not deal with acquisitions, exploration, or development of leases either.


I am a Division Order Analyst with a crude oil purchaser. I have worked in the division order and customer relations departments for the past 9 with a first purchaser. My company purchases and transports oil for operators and we make revenue distributions on their behalf. I analyze division order title opinions, prior purchaser pay sheets, probate, and other conveyances related to the set up and modification of pay decks (divisions of interest) in leases (wells) of oil around the county. I have been involved in the set-up of our contract pay leases in conjunction with our marketing and regulatory departments.

HADOA: Member, 2013-2014

HADOA: March, 2014 Seminar The Land Department: Division Order Analyst Training Course, 2011 & 2007 NADOA 2010 Conference Land Focus: Fundamentals of Leases & Title Ownership, 2006 Northwestern University, BS Communications

Awards and Honors
Eagle Scout Award

©2017 All rights reserved.