You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral rights in Colorado


I am the third generation heir to mineral rights in Weld County Colorado.  I recently sold one parcel of producing property and will need a cost basis for the tax man.  These rights were originally purchased over 90 years ago by my grandfather.  Where/who/how can I get an accurate cost basis effective on the date (2006) that I inherited these rights?

You'll have to talk to a tax expert about the basis of inherited property.  Assuming that it is the fair market value on the date of the death of the decedent from whom you inherited, then perhaps a valuation expert could give such an opinion.  None of that is really my area, though.  Good luck.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Bonner


Interests include oil and gas leases, mineral deeds, royalty payments, interest on late royalty payments, post-production costs.


I have been an attorney for over 20 years.

Norman & Edem, PLLC 127 N.W. 10th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73103 405-272-0200 (Tel.)

Oklahoma Bar Journal; Oklahoma Association for Justice Advocate

Highest Honors, OU College of Law, 1992 Earl Sneed Award for Oil & Gas

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]