Oil/Gas/Blaine County Oklahoma

We have been approached with several offers for our two sections. We don't want to sell, but would entertain leasing.. What's going on? Shale horizontal? Gas or Oil?  What is a reasonable lease deal now? We've been offered $3000 per acre.....we know the basin has leased for over $10,000 per acre...what's the real price now?

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is the State regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma. On the OCC website ( you can search for drilling permits, completion reports, as well as current or past production figures for wells near where your mineral rights are located. You'd need to have the legal description handy (Section, Township, Range) in order to narrow your search down to the correct area. You could also visit the county clerk's office in the county where your mineral rights are located and search for recently-filed oil and gas leases in your immediate area since leases are also a good indicator of the activity in a given area.  

You should also read our Oil and Gas Leasing Tips article on the Mineral Hub. You can view it here:

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)