Oil/Gas/Ellis County Oklahoma

Question
Hello Mick,

The mineral lease on our interest in Sec 24 19N 22W in Ellis County OK expired late last year.  When it was executed, the bonus was $550 for a 1/8 interest.  I just received an offer of $300 and 3/16.  The land man claims the company he is representing is planning to drill in the section this year.  Considering the state of the oil and gas market, what is your opinion of this offer and claim regarding plans to drill?

Thanks!
Ted

Answer
I wouldn't lease for more than three years, and if they are "planning to drill" later this year, then you may decide to agree to just 12 months, though of course you'd receive less per acre for the bonus for the shorter term most likely.

Lease prices have come down since you last leased, so I wouldn't expect to get what you received last time unless activity has picked up in the area.

You might check out our Twitter page to see if any lease amounts have been posted recently in your area. Go to www.twitter.com/mineralhub and scroll down the page a ways. If there are any recent lease offers posted for your area of Ellis County you can compare those offers to your own.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott