Oil/Gas/inherited mineral rights

Question
Hi ive inherited mineral rights in beckham county Oklahoma with about 15 other relatives I live in California was sent an oil lease from apache oil but then they said elk city wont permit anymore drilling now I looked up court papers and saw that my sister and brother that live in Oklahoma have oil leases filed the legal description of it is s21 t11n r21w, how do I find out about all this where do I start? Thank you, Melony

Answer
I don't understand what you are trying to tell me here, or what specific information you are asking for.  An oil and gas lease is a contract that requires your signature to be witnessed, and it is always sent along with either a check or a draft for an amount of money called a "signing bonus".  You don't mention anything about getting a check or draft from Apache along with the lease, so maybe it wasn't a lease that you received.  Before I can help you, I need to know what you received from Apache.  Also, Elk City doesn't issue oil and gas drilling permits, only the Oklahoma Corporation Commission in Oklahoma City does that, so I don't understand why anyone at Apache would mention anything to you about Elk City.  Then you say you "looked up court papers and saw that my sister and brother that live in Oklahoma have oil leased filed".  Oil and gas leases are not filed with a court, they are filed in the deed records, or official records, or oil and gas records in Beckham County where your land is located.  Did you go online to a deed records database like CourthouseDirect.com or DrillingInfo.com to look at the Beckham County Deed Records?  Then you ask "how do I find out about all this", but I don't know what "this" is.  If you will ask a follow-up question and answer these specific questions for me, I may be able to help you:

1.  What is the title of the document (at the top of it) that Apache sent you?
2.  Does it have a place for you to sign it?
3.  Does it have a place for a notary public to sign after you sign it?
4.  Did you receive a check or a draft for an amount of money, along with this document?
5.  Do you remember the title of the person you talked to at Apache who told you that Elk City won't permit any more drilling now? (Landman, engineer, etc.)

Once I have answers to these questions I'll be glad to help you figure out what to do next.

Oil/Gas

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA