Oil/Gas/Lease/Mineral interest

Question
Yes, I was forced-pooled into a lease a few months ago that i just found out about.  I called the Oil company in which they stated they tried to send me a lease. I have obtain a copy from them and in the lease it states they hereby offer 325 per net mineral acre for a lease with 20% royalty interest and a 3 year primary term with an option to extend the primary term for 2 years for an additional bonus payment of 325.00 per net mineral acre.  I asked this company since i was forced-pooled into this lease if they where going to send me the offered 325.00 per net mineral i have.  My question I called and spoke with the oil well person that was on the lease.  He explained that no payment to me was necessary.  I asked him well i cant lease to anyone else and he said yes you could however i am in a forced-pooling so why wouldnt the lease offer pertain to me now.

So do they owe me are not for the mineral acres are am i missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Chris,
There are several different manners in which an unleased owner is entitled to recover what is owed them as a result of a well being drilled in which they have an unleased interest, all based on the reasons why the owner is unleased.  Is he unleased because:
a) an agreement could not be reached between the oil and gas company and the landowner?
b) because the owner could not be found?
c) because the owner was overlooked?

The circumstance determines what the landowner is entitled to.  

It appears from what you have stated that the oil and gas company did try to send you a lease, but it was returned to them.

Assuming the oil and gas company has proof that a lease was mailed but it was returned to them due to a bad address; and subsequently your interest was force-pooled into the unit, they do not owe you any bonus money for your interest.

You will be entitled to your share of future production, less and except your proportionate share of drilling costs, and you should be receiving something from the oil and gas company notifying you of what your share of costs will be.

You do not have to participate; you can elect to go 'non-consent', and in this situation, the oil and gas company is entitled to receive 100% of their drilling costs plus a penalty and interest fee for carrying your interest, until they bring you back in and pay you for your proportionate share of production, less and except your share of operating expenses.  

I know this is alot of information to understand, but back to your original question; no, you are not owed any money from the oil and gas company for 'leasing' your land.  It has been 'force pooled'.  

I would recommend you sending a certified letter to the oil and gas company providing them with the legal description of your property, along with your current contact information, so they will have their records current, and they will have been notified properly of your unleased position.

Best of luck.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL