Oil/Gas/Oil and Gas Leases

Question
I just discovered that my Mother was beneficiary of property in Seminole County, Oklahoma back in 1950, but the oil and gas lease was not included in the probated property.  Shouldn't the oil and gas lease have been included in the property that was probated?

Answer
You need to first verify that the lease has been kept active by production or in some other means. It may have expired. Did she own just the surface "land" or all the minerals? If she owned a mineral interest of any kind and there is an active "lease" you should still be able to get hold of this or accrued revenues. You can search for unclaimed property and the currently purchaser / operator. In most cases both will just need to be provided proof of record title in her name and proof that you are an heir in order to release payment and set you up for ongoing revenue payments if there will be are any.  

Oil/Gas

Jason J. Alexander