Oil/Gas/O & G Leasing in Grant County, OK

I own a small mineral interest in Section 27-25N-8W, Grant County, Oklahoma.  A few years ago I signed a lease with Chesapeake but there was never any production development.  There are producing wells in sections adjacent I believe.  I'm wondering why there is no activity on Section 27.  I have relatives (father's siblings)I believe would be owners as well, but do not know their whereabouts.  Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.  I have had offers from mineral rights buyers, but do not want to sell at this time.  I am curious about why there has never been any production development.

I'm not sure why there's no activity in your section, though there are certainly plans for or already-drilled wells in several of the adjacent sections. Of course a lease grants only the right to drill, not the obligation to drill, so it's really no guarantee a well will ever be drilled. Some people actually enjoy leasing the same property again and again rather than having a well drilled.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is the State regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma. On the OCC website ( you can search for drilling permits, completion reports, as well as current or past production figures for wells near where your mineral rights are located. You'd need to have the legal description handy (Section, Township, Range) in order to narrow your search down to the correct area. You could also visit the county clerk's office in the county where your mineral rights are located and search for recently-filed oil and gas leases in your immediate area since leases are also a good indicator of the activity in a given area.  

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)