You are here:

Oil/Gas/Finding Description of T & R and Section


Recently contacted by oil and gas company  landman who says deceased family member is shown as mineral owner.  We were only faintly aware of existence, but records not found.  However, we are TTEE of the Trust Memorandum and have POA.  The rights are in Blaine County.  Can a file search be performed on line using the name of the deceased to find the description?  
I was a Systems Analyst for Sinclair Oil & Gas and did a large OK survey of our Land Department years back before computers, so I'm not familiar with the method other than going to county courthouse and run files.  Thanks so much.

The POA isn't going to help you with someone who is already deceased of course. The landman should be able to help you determine the acreage etc. and if he/she won't then you can go to the county clerk's office as you mentioned and run the title. In Oklahoma you can search either by name in the grantor/grantee indexes or by legal description (section townshiop and range).

Another option would be to visit, which is a website where you can search land records for free, and if you need to actually pull the document you can do that as well online for a small fee assuming the document is not too old.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.