Oil/Gas/oil royalities and bankruptcy chapter 13

Question
Please tell me if in a chapter 13 the monthly oil royalties will be counted as income and assets by a bankruptcy court? I have to file and do not want to lose my  oil & gas royalyities payments or I cannot pay my living expenses.

Answer
Michelle
I am not real familiar with bankruptcy proceedings but do believe that you are required to furnish a statement in regard to your assets and your income. I do not know if the oil and gas revenue is then attached to and used to pay your debtors but I don't know why they wouldn't be, just like any other income you have.
I do know some people have chosen to sell their mineral interest to a mineral buyer who basis their offer on the owner's proportionate share of lifetime revenue of the well, after that amount has been factored by a present day discount factor [because $1000 today is worth more than $1000 received over 5 years] so the owner can still enjoy the full value of their oil and gas asset in one lump sum at a time when they really need it.
You should look at this option with a credible mineral buyer if you are in this situation. Also when you sell your minerals it is only taxed at the long term capital gains tax rate of 20% while revenue received from a producing well is taxed at your ordinary income tax rate. Additionally you remove all the risk you have being a mineral owner (how long with the well produce, how good will it be, will the oil and gas prices continue to fall which directly affect the production revenue, etc).
I've been able to assist many people with this decision. Please visit my website to see what others have done.
Best of luck and I'm glad you asked!!  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL