Oil/Gas/Visible unmanned well issued

Question
Maybe I don't understand the operational side enough...Once drilling is completed with an oil/gas well and the well is at a point where  employees from the well operator are no longer around, does the surface owner have any responsibilities to notify the operator of visible well problems(e.g. the well is on fire)??
The surface owner obviously would if they had a direct financial interest in the well and the minerals it produces, but perhaps they don't have any interest, and therefore aren't motivated to do anything about it.

Answer
If you see a well on fire I would definitely call 911 unless the fire is due only to "gas flaring" that is normally done on some oil wells. I would guess it's the same "responsibility" you'd have if you saw a car on fire on the highway. I would also alert the operator of the well if you noticed any leaks or anything. After all you don't want the well polluting your land, right? Whether it's actually your "responsibility" to do so is something you'd want to ask an attorney I suppose.

If the well is still producing oil or gas I'm sure the operator of the well has people come and check on it from time-to-time and do maintenance etc. If the well is abandoned then you should contact the previous operator and tell them they need to come and clean up the site.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott