Oil/Gas/How to find out if I should have been receiving royalties?

In May 2010, my brothers and sisters negotiated an OGL for the 1/2 interest of the mineral rights we own for the SE4, Section 32, Township 11, Range 60 West in Weld County, CO.  Hard to believe that 5 years has come and gone, but it has and I was wondering how I would find out whether or not we should have received any royalties, or whether or not the lease is even still in effect since the primary term would have expired last month.  Seems to me that if there wasn't any extraction of oil from that 160 acres in the last 5 years, it might be the only 160 acres in Weld County that didn't produce.

Anyway, I just don't know who to trust to help me find out or if I have to do it myself, where to get started.  If it's important to help answer the question, our signing bonus was $300 per net mineral acre ($24,000) and the negotiated royalty rate was 1/6th.  

Also, if whoever owns the lease now doesn't have it in production or drilling operations aren't being continually prosecuted, are we free to lease them again to somebody else, or sell them, or?

Thanks in advance for your help. I came here 5 years ago to get help, and it was very helpful!

If the lease had resulted in production you would have been notified by the operator or purchaser of the production and would have been asked to sign a "division order" so they could begin paying you royalty. If you did not receive a division order and have received no royalty checks it's likely the lease expired without production.

Once the lease has expired you are of course free to lease to anyone else you wish. You can also sell the mineral rights at any time, whether they are leased, producing, or non producing.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)