Oil/Gas/Inheritance - Real Property

Question
Hello Ms. Fitzgerald,

Recently, we learned that our first cousins,(family 1) had been told that they had property from our great uncle whom I will refer to as Great-Uncle Larry. Uncle Larry died intestate.

1.  Uncle Larry was married but they had no children.

2.  His wife, died first, before Uncle Larry. Her share of the estate went to her side of the family. She also died intestate.

3.  My question is in regards to Uncle Larry's share of their estate.

4. Uncle Larry had three brothers,(family one mentioned above), and our grandfather (family two), and another brother (family three).

Family one were the only ones informed that they had inherited from Uncle Larry as his survivors and they signed an O&G lease with some very good producing gas wells.

Family two and three were never told that they inherited by descent & distribution like "family one".

We have been told that being that Uncle Larry did not leave a will, that all of his brothers inherit, not just the family one.
We were told that in a family tree chart, if someone dies like Uncle Larry without children or a will, that his property goes "back up" in a family tree chart to his parents if they are still alive and then to the rest of his siblings or their descendants.

Ms. Fitzgerald, do families two and three also inherit from Uncle Larry?

I hope I have been able to adequately explain our situation.

Thank you Ms. Fitzgerald for your attention to my question.

Answer
Nicolas,
You are correct, if your Uncle Larry died without a will (intestate), his interest would be distributed equally amongst his collaterals (siblings), and then by stripes (children of his deceased siblings).  

Usually, an oil and gas company will obtain an Affidavit of Heirship for a deceased owner, from a disinterested third party, in order that the proper heirs be recognized, IF there was no succession filed on the deceased owner.  

If you know who the operator is of the wells, then I would suggest you write them a letter inquiring about the interest of your deceased uncle, and how they are distributing his interest.  In this same letter, if you could go ahead and advise them of the facts about your uncle's death; that he died without children/heirs, without a will, and his siblings were: (and state their full legal names, including whether each sibling is living or deceased; and if deceased provide the names of the sibling's children's full legal names, and the place of residence, (town and city).  

This should cause enough concern with the Land Dept. of the Operator, for someone to contact you about your uncle's interest.

Again, I suggest you make your request in writing, preferably sending it by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you will have written documentation of your notification to the Operator.

Best of luck, and thank you for allowing me to assist you.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL