Oil/Gas/MINERAL RIGHTS OWNERSHIP

Question
DO COMPANIES LIKE XTO MAKE BIG MISTAKES WHEN CHECKING TO SEE WHO ALL THE MINERAL RIGHTS OWNERS ARE AND IF THEY FIND OUT THAT THEY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE DO THEY WORK TO MAKE IT RIGHT OR DO THEY DRAG THEIR FEET AND IS THERE ANY THING ANY ONE CAN DO AND ARE THERE ANY LIABILLTY FOR IT.IN MY GRANDMOTHERS WILL SPLIT 641 ACRES INTO THIRDS ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO THE ONE SISTER WANTED THE OTHERS TO GIVE HER THE PROPORTY THEY REFUSED AND SAID THEY WOULD SELL THEIR SHARES TO HER SO HER SON TOOK HER TO COURT TO GET THE RIGHTS BUY THE PROPORTY. AFTER ALL WAS SAID AND DONE HE BOUGHT THE PROPORTY BUT 8 OF THE OWNERS HAD ENTERED IN THE AGREEMENT THAT MINERAL RIGHTS WERE EXCLUDED AND THE PAPERS WERE FILED IN THE HUGES CO. COURT HOUSE IN OKLAHOMA IS THERE THAT THEY CAN SAY THEY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE EXCLUTION AND THAT WE ARE NOT INTITLED TO OUR SHARE OF ANY MONEYS FROM THE TWO (AT LEAST) WELLS ON THE PROPORTY AND DO WE HAVE ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE ANY SAY ABOUT FORCED POOLING SINCE WE WERE NOT NOTEFIDE ABOUT ANY OF THIS

Answer
Bob,
I understand your frustration here in trying to sort this out - unfortunately in my opinion, the laws were written by the Operators and the responsibility of notifying the Operator of any transfers of ownership are placed with the landowner. Consequently, if you have not provided written notice to the Operator providing them with a copy of the recorded instrument that transferred the interests, then they are not held responsible for not paying the correct owners.
After the Operator receives the notification, as set forth above, then they have a certain number of days in which to respond to your letter.  
It is very important to send your letter by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, so that you can track the date they received your notice and when they respond.
Also, I suggest you reference any information on the prior owners' interest, such as their Owner No. with the Operator, and the Property (Well names) Names, so the Operator can easily identify the interest you are writing about.
Best of luck.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL