Oil/Gas/money for lease

Question
When a company like XTO offers money for a lease  and it says 500.00 dollars plus xxx royalty if you go one way or 400.00 dollars plus xxx royalty if you go the other way do they mean 400 or 500 dollars per acre per month per year or what and does the lease start when the papers are signed or when production starts. This is another  question I hope you can help me with you did such a good job with the other one that I though I would give it another try, we talked to a lawyer and after he read the paper work he thinks XTO made a big mistake when they didn't see that the mineral rights did not belong to the people that they were paying the money to they just had surface rights and 30% of the mineral rights.Hope to hear from you soon!  BOB

Answer
Bob,
Thank you for the compliment! I'm happy that my previous answer helped you.

When a company is negotiating lease terms with you and they make you an offer and they provide you a dollar amount, it is usually being quoted on a dollar amount per net acre basis.  In other words, if the property is 10 acres, and you own only 1/2 interest in the property, your net acres would be 5 net mineral acres.  The dollar amount you provide above, does not contain any qualifying language as far as is this $500.00 for:
a) a net mineral acre as lease bonus?
b) for a shut-in payment?

So, there must be some additional language that follows the dollar amount because as it is provided above, I cannot explain to you what it refers to.

Insofar as when the lease starts, UNLESS the lease has a stated 'effective date', the start date will be the date you execute the lease.

Best of luck Bob!
Keep up the good learning!!

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL