Oil/Gas/Grady County, OK Lease Offer Question

Question
I just inherited mineral rights in Grady County Oklahoma. Sec's23 & 28 township 9N Range 7W. I received numerous offers. I am not sure what the going rate is per acre. I would be getting 1/5% royalty. I don't know what should be in the lease, can you please help me?

Answer
You should be able to get a fairly good lease here since it appears you are receiving multiple lease offers. Read our "leasing tips" article on the Mineral Hub website for tips on leasing and negotiating:

http://www.mineralhub.com/2010/09/oil-and-gas-leasing-tips-part-one/

I would also suggest obtaining advice from an oil and gas attorney as to what to include or exclude from your lease, and for advice on whether the bonus amount being offered you is fair or not. I would expect a minimum offer of $500-$600/acre in this area for a 1/5 lease but a local attorney could help you verify what the going rate in the area is. Grady County is pretty active right now so it's important to get a good lease, especially if you own more than just a couple of acres.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott