Oil/Gas/Inheritance - Minerals and Royalties

Question
Hello Ms. Fitzgerald,

Last year, on July 17, 2015, more or less, I asked you a question about how our great-uncle Larry had died and had no children.

I stated that some of our cousins had signed a lease with an energy company but several other cousins had not.

Your response was that we should contact the oil company which we did. The division order analyst informed me that she was having trouble locating the files concerning the lease in question. That they were an acquisition company and had not done the initial owner search etc. That she was going to have to "look" for the boxes in a warehouse.

After getting the run-around from the company, we decided to contact an attorney for his assistance in getting information from the oil and gas company.

After telling him our story, he said that an oil company only had to go back 4 years to pay royalties to any new heirs that would show up years later such as in our case. When I first contacted you in July 2015, I failed to mention that the lease was signed in 1987.

Also, no Affidavit of Heirship was ever filed with a County Clerk naming all of the heirs to Uncle Larry's inheritance. Which is why only one family signed a lease over 30 years ago.

Ms. Fitzgerald, is this correct about a oil company only having to go back 4 years in royalties to any new heirs that show up 30 years later such as the case with us?

Also, is their some law in the books which I could research and show the family?

Thank you Ms. Fitzgerald for the attention you have given my question.

Answer
Nicolas,
Good work! You've contacted the oil company and been able to make contact with the division order analyst.  Sometimes that's even very difficult to accomplish!
There are different laws for different states, and I am only well experienced with Louisiana mineral title, but yes, there is a limitation on how far back an oil company has to go back to pay on past production.  However, each state requires oil and gas companies to report their 'escrowed or suspended funds'. This is where the funds go that are not paid out to the owners due to bad addresses, deaths, etc.  
So I would also recommend that you check with your state's unclaimed funds division to see if there is any money identified as being for the 'heirs of'.  
I would encourage your family to file an Affidavit of Heirship for your uncle as soon as possible. This will notify all third parties who the proper heirs are of your uncle's.  A company can only rely on public records to identify the proper heirs, unless they are presented with a death certificate which specifies who the heirs are, which is furnished to them in writing sent by certified mail.
Best of luck Nicolas.

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL