You are here:

Oil/Gas/Keeping mineral rights on a property in Delaware county, oklahoma


As a seller of 32 acres of land in Delaware county, oklahoma, I am confronted with a question.  My husband who was from Oklahoma and passed away last September had always told me if I ever had to sell our Oklahoma properties to keep the mineral rights as his father told him an oil company had done a test drill? when my husband was a child in the 1940's.  As a widow, I listed the property and asked to keep the mineral rights and was told that no one does that anymore...WRONG!  My illinois lawyer told me to register my land on the Oklahoma mineral registry and get an Oklahoma lawyer to draw up a special document reserving my mineral rights. I have registered my land but do I have to get a lawyer to draw up a special document in Oklahoma.  Your laws are different from ours and II am very confused...can you help me? I also have another 10 acres of land in Delaware county...should I reserve mineral rights on that property?

I would say that it is still a very popular philosophy to retain the mineral rights when you sell the surface rights.  I suppose it depends on the price you are being offered for your mineral rights.

It would probably be more convenient for a Delaware County lawyer to draw up your paperwork.  It isn't complicated, but they would be closer to the courthouse to file it and do any necessary research.  

Best regards,


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Bonner


Interests include oil and gas leases, mineral deeds, royalty payments, interest on late royalty payments, post-production costs.


I have been an attorney for over 20 years.

Norman & Edem, PLLC 127 N.W. 10th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73103 405-272-0200 (Tel.)

Oklahoma Bar Journal; Oklahoma Association for Justice Advocate

Highest Honors, OU College of Law, 1992 Earl Sneed Award for Oil & Gas

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]