Oldies/help finding title and artist

Monique wrote at 2008-03-12 02:36:33
I'm looking for the same song. It's a male singing it and I think his first name is Tom because that's in part of the song. The second verse is about his girlfriend breaking up with him and in the song she says " And Tom, I think that we're through..." The last verse has to do with him moving away from his mother. It was a folk/country type song. I hope this little bit of additional information will help you locate the song.

photojen wrote at 2008-05-03 00:01:04
Brian and Lou,

I actually was just singing what I could remember from this song in my car.  I too have not heard it for 15-20 years.  I think it was written by someone in Maine but I don't know when or if it ever was recorded officially.  

The other line you are missing is:

But a dog just grows old far to soon.  I didn't know what to do.  I think I could die...  

Becca wrote at 2012-12-05 06:07:51
His name is Tom Acousti. He's a family friend of ours.  This song was from one of his records in the late 80s I believe. My mom used to play it all the time.

Oldies

Lou Simon