Oldies/Holly Go Softly Lyrics

Raseo wrote at 2008-09-14 05:55:53
Haven't heard this song in almost 40 years, but here's my best shot...

First of the month, when my rent is due

Mrs. Kingsley hurries down from 5th Avenue

With a check in her hand...

And a kiss on her lips.

She's a patron of the arts,

and she digs my style.

Says I'm gonna make it big,

If I stay with her a while.

And then, I love her - though

I really don't love her.

Chorus:

Oh, Holly go softly from my bedside

My Holly, go softly from me

I belong to the lady who keeps

me from hunger... get the picture?

I'm not free.

The doorman rang up

to say she's here

Let's kiss a magic kiss

and make you disappear

Though I love you so... I just

can't let you stay.

I've got to pay my dues

in a world so cruel

Where love is a luxury

for a sentimental fool

Come on, hurry girl

I don't want a scene, now...

Chorus (twice, or maybe 3 times)

It was pretty big in Denver in '69 or '70, but I don't think it hit very many places.  My sister & I listened to it on KIMN AM down in the basement over & over again.  Happy memories!

vl.pas wrote at 2009-03-14 04:50:19
This song brings back memories!  I believe the reason it was so popular in Denver, is because the group that sang it, Cornerstone were from Denver.

Rhonda James wrote at 2011-05-10 16:43:36
I remember that song!  I was in 9th grade in 1970 when it came out and brings back a lot of memories.

kc wrote at 2011-07-09 23:23:15
the song was sung by Steph Hudson and the Hudson Bay Company in Denver niteclubs in the 70's.

Jaynelle wrote at 2012-06-16 04:34:37
I know most of the words to the WORST 45 ever recorded:

"On the first of the month when my rent is due,

Mrs Kingsley hurries down from Fifth Avenue

with a check in her hand and a kiss on her lips.

She's a patron of the arts and she likes me style

says I'm gonna make it big if I stay with her awhile

And then I love her,though I really don't love her . . .

Holly go softly from my bedside

my Holly go softly from me

I belong to the lady who keeps me from hunger,

Get the picture, I'm not free"

can't recall the rest, as I haven't listened to this since late 1960s - was friendly with Wayne Bennett, one of the (now daed) founders of Cream Records.  Hope this helped . . .  

izzybee wrote at 2012-08-06 01:49:25
I moved to Phoenix az in July 1969, just before my 13th birthday. This song was a hit on the radio at the time, and the amazing thing is that a beautiful young woman lived with her little girl in the same apt. complex (wish I could remember her name) and she introduced me to her boyfriend, the cutest guy I had ever seen- his name was Steph Hudson. She told me he sang with a band called Cornerstone.

Ken E. Safken wrote at 2013-03-11 22:55:30
Steph Hudson came to Denver after Cornerstone-Steph & the Hudson Bay did live KHOW shows;DJ's Hot Dog Hal & Charlie Martin,his family lived at Th Briarwood North Apts, Westminster just below my apt,we talked he said his band was breaking up and needed bass and guitar I flew to Grand Junction and came back with Danny Cass and studio guitarist Frank Montoya-We learned the show in a week,Steph used a echoplex on stage it placed to his left.Oh that little girl was a Boy.I was his drummer and sang thirds about his 3 octave vocal range. Steph had a wax of david gates song It don't Matter to me.Cary Steinberg and Max Albers replaced the other band members.Steph where are you? Carol was her name and she had a son with steph

bob wrote at 2013-07-15 16:16:26
We used to follow Steph and The Hudson Bay Company all around Denver.  Seems like he frequently played at a Holiday Inn out on I25 a nd Arapahoe Rd.  He was very, very talented.  He would never sing The Cornerstone  song.

Wish I knew what happened to him.

Bob Hurley5 wrote at 2014-08-01 19:19:32
We followed Steph Hudson as well.  He did play at The Holiday Inn frequently.  It was called Circle in the Square.  He was really talented.  Occasioally he would do a routine as if he was an old time travelling preacher.  It was very, very good.  I have searhed for information frequently.  Never have found anything.  

Oldies

Lou Simon