Oldies/Twin Tones

John Cunningham wrote at 2008-11-12 12:31:50
John Cunningham is my Dad!!

He is alive and well, as is his twin brother. John (Dad) is retired after a career in Engineering, and Jim enjoyed a career in the Railroad industry and was active in his community.

Enjoy the Classics, yep, they Rock,

John Jr.

Slidecutter wrote at 2009-04-27 20:55:34
Wow....a real "blast from the past"!  

I still have my original Twin Tones record; just loved their, underplayed and under-recognized, version of "Jo Ann".  Living here in New York, I remember going out to Hicksville, Long Island, one week-end, way back then; thought that, at any moment, I'd see the Cunningham's just walking or riding down the street.

The mentality of a 12 year old with a big celebrity crush.....<s>

Ken wrote at 2009-12-07 11:54:23
I was stationed at Hanscom Field in 1960 to 1961 when I was 17. My roomate at this base was John Cunningham and I remember him as being much cooler than the rest of us young airmen as he had such cool clothes and used hairspray, something not all that popular with men at the time. He told me about his twin brother, his family, etc. I think he said his mother ran a publishing company in NY. He told me about his singing,etc. and at 17, not sure I believed him. He was a very cool, very dramatic young man. Years later I saw an albmum cover with he and his twin on motor scooters so knew that he had been telling the truth. At the time we were at Hanscom Field he was writing a book but do not know if he ever published.

P. Cunningham wrote at 2009-12-10 00:45:46
The brothers, Johnny and Jim, both went on to serve in the armed forces; Jim in the Army and Johnny in the Air Force. Both raised families and are still alive. Johnny still plays and writes music.

john wrote at 2010-06-07 02:47:23
Utter nonsense to say an act was deopped because of Elvis! IF that were true, the act would never have been signed for the same reason.

The fact is simple. The Twin Tones got to make a fair share of recordings and they had no hits, despite RCA getting them on "American Bandstand". RCA had many acts that didn't work out, just as every record company did.

It's a shame, but The Playmates version was owned by Alan Freed's close associate, and Freed played The "cover" version nightly.

Don't make up things, just try to be correct, and if you don't know the answer, just don't answer.

Buffalo Bob Casale wrote at 2010-08-22 11:55:21
Lou Simon was responding to a question submitted by Robert about the Twin Tones, John and Jim Cunningham. The boys were classmates of mine back in the late fifties at Hicksville High School in, of course, Hicksville, New York located on Long Island about 30 miles from New York City.

Both boys are living in the United States. I am going to send a note to them because we still exchange correspondence and ask that they respond directly to Louís site and you can get a first hand look at their lives the past 50 or so years.

Buffalo Bob Casale

John G. Cunningham Sr. wrote at 2010-08-22 15:53:16
Hi All,

Just a line to let you know that ( we )the twins both live in Arkansas , and love it here.

It reminds me of Hicksville in the late 40's.

The truth be known , we both got tired of the miserable show business grind , and wanted a simpler life.

The compulsory draft was catching up and we had signed with Lancer Records ( our contract with RCA was ended by mutual agreement ).

We had a single out on that labile ( Lancer Records ) as The Twins , but I can't recall the title of that song.

I enlisted in theUSAF ( served 4 years active duty)and have been an aircraft buff ever since.

I am currently building a Light Sports Aircraft ( a Hart Bird II at the Hart Aero shop in MO ).

I still write songs and have a small home studio.

Jim and I have very different lives and pursuits.

I can say that the recording experience was fun for the few years Jim and I were doing that , but it was much to demanding for us.

Jim was drafted into the ARMY while I was still serving in the USAF.

We are both well , and enjoy our rural Arkansas lives.

Sincerely

Johnny

Jim H wrote at 2010-12-18 20:05:53
Jim and John Cunningham went on to join the military and serve their country. From what I know, their agent misrepresented them and their father took them out of the business. They now live in Arkansas and are retired. Jim is retired from the Long Island Rail Road, has four daughters, two sons, multiple grandchildren and is still married to his wife Barbara. John has a tree farm and ranch, three boys and one girl, named Joanne of course, multiple grandchilren and is divorced from his ex-wife Carol! Joanne is the oldest of all the cousins. Their sister, Susan, lives in Florida and has two boys and a girl. John's oldest son ,John Jr., has recorded some alternative and electronic style music and has a talent for rythem. Their sister Susan's oldest son Jim has a daughter Jaime that, at the age of 8, may be the only relative that follows in their footsteps. She sings, dances and acts. How do I know all of this? I am Susan's oldest son Jim, nephew of Jim and John and father to Jaime!  

davechez wrote at 2011-05-01 04:08:55
I don't know how old this forum is but I just discovered The Twin Tones from a box of old 45s my friend has. What a great sound this band had...this is coming from a twenty two year old with no nostalgia for this music. Thanks for the great information on this band!

edd wrote at 2011-08-29 21:01:42
Jim and John are married and living in New Jersey.  More is needed on this duo

and i'm still searching for a good copy of the album released by RCA.  

Denny wrote at 2012-12-10 04:20:02
I can remember John and Jim Cunningham visiting Uniondale High School on Long Island N.Y. in the spring of 1958,The Girls going Wild!

Oldies

Lou Simon