Oldies/The Knockouts

dalcer1 wrote at 2009-01-27 19:46:10
The Knockouts

Bob D'Andrea (the best!)was the lead singer and STILL performs under the act name 'Andre and Cirell', doing comedy and songs, mainly in and around the NewYork Metro area and Atlantic City.

During the 60's, The Knockouts used to perform in Seaside, NJ at the Parrot Club, Luciano's in Lodi, NJ, in Lyndhurst, NJ and also up at Greenwood Lake, NY on weekends.

They used to have a guy named Chubby too, but he got dropped. Bob D'Andrea and Eddie are the only survivors according to Bob.

Besides Darling Lorraine, EVERYTHING they sang was a HIT in the hearts of their fans .. they made the music THEIRS! They associated comedy via Bobby to nearly every song played .. a great time every time!  Too bad all of their stuff was not recorded.

dalcer1 wrote at 2009-01-27 19:49:58
The last time I saw Eddie Parente, he was selling Volkwagens at a dealership across Rt 208 from Nabisco's factory in Fair Lawn, NJ (around late '70s. He told me he was given a choice by his other half "quit the music or me" .. his reason for selling cars!  A great musician was put to pasture!!

Tom Catucci wrote at 2009-07-05 18:30:55
Adding to the Knockouts question, The guy named Chebby is incorrect, they never had a Chubby, they did have a replacement drummer shortly after "Darling Lorraine" hit te charts and his name was Bob Catucci better known as Pierre La Salle. Pierre was with the gruop in all the recordings that followed Lorraine and stayed with them untill the group started to decline in the early mid sixties.

The place they so often appeard at in Lyndhurst was The Garden House, Now a Polenisian resturaunt.

Pierre passed away July of 2002 or 03.

Thank you.

Tom Catucci ( Bob's brother)

Annette Florance wrote at 2010-03-07 01:29:15
Drummer was Pierre LaSalle.  Used to play at Greenwood Lake, New York, Lucianos on Route 46 in Lodi, New Jersey and the Rahway Rec in New Jersey.  Bobby Collada passed away in the 60's.  

lou hroncich wrote at 2011-01-02 02:38:48
They were great! Without the major labels they stayed local. Had many conversations with Bobby back then and he was always hospitable to myself and any date I might have had. They should have been bigger but times were different. I'll have to check them out next time I'm in Jersey!

RichT wrote at 2011-02-13 19:25:05
Thanks, Dave, for the info.  

The sequel to "Darling Lorraine" was "Rich Boy, Poor Boy", a much grander

production and worth seeking out.

I was thrilled to see Mr. D'Andrea and Mr. Parente perform "DL" on one the

oldies reunion shows on PBS.  "Back in the day", I saw them on Dick Clark's

Saturday night show, on the Clay Cole Show several times and in the middle-of-

the-night spots on telethons.  A fun band.  

Tom Moran wrote at 2011-03-11 17:15:58
I remember The Knockouts from Molinari's in Union City back in the early 60's they played during the week and Danny Lamego and the Jumpin Jacks on the weekend. many a lost weekend I spent in the joints at the Transfer Station, anyone out there remember,Phil's Kitchen, The Little Bar, The Golden Nugget, The Rag Doll, good times TOM MORAN

Johnny "D" wrote at 2011-04-07 19:18:51
In Union City there was a night club called the Cat & Fiddle, my band the Vagabons played there all the time.  I wonder if any of you fans remeber the Vagabons, a comedy, top 40 and soul music with a little of Louie Prima style.

Johnny "D" the front man and sax  

patricia53 wrote at 2011-06-11 20:56:57
Saw Bob D'Andrea perform last night at the fabulous Gianna's Restaurant in Carlstadt NJ. Bobby still possesses a magnificent voice. His routine's changed and is now one of two stand up comedians. The show was fabulous!! It's a must see.

Patricia

Harry wrote at 2011-08-10 04:03:47
I used to watch The Knockouts in the early 60's at the Long Pond in Greenwood Lake, NY.  Their lineup at the time was Bobby D'Andrea, Eddie Parenti, Bob Collada & Pierre LaSalle.  

I last saw Bobby Collada at Victors House of Music where I working at the time.  Bobby was working as a salesman for RMI Piano Co. It was shortly afterwards I heard he had passed resulting from epilepsy.

I last saw Bobby D'Andrea on the boardwalk working w/The New Knockouts (not sure of the date)

The Knockouts were an incredible group (our group 'borrowed' much of our material from them)

frank wrote at 2011-11-09 07:44:08
I ran into Ed perente from the KNOCKOUTS in atlantic city november 4th at the bogota casino. Ed was with his beautifull wife. It was a pleasure to meet him as they are a wonderfull couple that look half as old as they are. frank ansonia,ct november 9th 2011

patrick wrote at 2012-06-23 22:41:15
hello my name is patrick gallagher, currently in south jersey.  my mother is rosemary gallagher, the original writer of the song 'darling lorraine' before it was released, in 1959.  this song was stolen by the knockouts edward parente, whose girlfriend at the time presented the poem to parente (my mom and dad sang this song in public up in the transfer station area in union city, and in clubs in north bergen - she wrote down the words to the song!).  my mother wrote words and arrangement. so the knockouts show up at her door when she was caring for six kids, and AFTER they released the song with only parente's name credited. they heard she would sue, they said 'you are in no position to sue us.' well, she did and it was re-released with her name and parente's.  RIP mom - january 2011

Joyce Luciano wrote at 2012-07-08 10:27:26
Bobby Collada passed away from a brain tumor. He had two or 3 surgery's and passed on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter in 1968.  His Son from Wife Carol Collada, is the spitting image of Bobby. Back in 1984 when I was still back East, Carol came to one of my Fairs.  Young Bobby walked in first and came toward me, he looked so much like his Dad that I lost it for a sec and said, Bobby as if addressing his Dad.  Bobby was one of my best friends.  All these years later, I still and always will miss him.  Bobby D'Andrea is and always will be the greatest...he is the best another dear good friend!

Carol DeVenuta wrote at 2012-09-18 18:44:23
Harry Venuta of the Knockouts was my husband.  He originated the band and appeared on American Bandstand.  He left the  band after a few years and they hired another drummer, but after a period of time, they asked him to come back.  For personal reasons, he didn't.  The name "Knockouts" originated when they didn't have a name for the group and someone called out from the audience ... Hey guys, you can really nock them out"!!!!  Just a little trivia thought you might enjoy.

bobbie murphy (carfi) wrote at 2012-10-18 15:37:51
Oh My GOD joyce i have been looking for you for years its bobbie from Lucianos to everyone else I was the head waitress at lucianos for about 3-4 years in the 60s when i left it fell aprt and i went to the alligro anyone who knows me or remembers my email is remaxbobbi@aol.com I moved to pa and started a new marriages I want to see Bob deandrea again one more time saw him once in the crystel years ago and I want joyce to meet me 2675661100 joyce or whoever  

Jay David wrote at 2012-12-11 17:14:48
My name is Jay David...In 1968, I was asked to replace Pierre as the drummer w/ the Knockouts...I was with the band for 2 years when I went on to form a band called DR Hook & The Medicine Show...loved playing @ Lucianos on Rt 46 and The Parrot Club in Seaside Heights...we played @ the chain of Americana Hotels in Miami, Nassau Beach and San Juan, Puerto Rico...I spoke with Bobby D'Andrea a few years ago...love that guy...what a talent and a killer dancer...

George Tuzzolino wrote at 2013-02-27 20:43:00
THE KNOCKOUTS - NORTH JERSEY OF THE 50'S - Today all the fans of Bobby D'Andrea and the Knockouts, I will try to bring all of you up to date on our favorite musical & comedy group. On February 17, 2012 at 3PM my wife Jo-Ann and I stayed in Atlantic City at Resorts where we were able to get tickets to the Andre & Cirell Show. Andre is Bobby D'Andrea and Cirell is Frank who sang with the Duprees. The show is a must see and Bobby has not changed one bit! Bob who still moves around like a teenager and Frank who has a dynamic voice with songs & acts of the 40's & 50's.

After the show I was able to meet up with both Bobby and Frank and made plans to meet the following day for breakfast. The next morning my wife and I met with Bobby and we talked as if we were back in time. We reminisced about the hunting and fish we used to do and still do. We talked about the many places we traveled to see the Knockouts play. Some of my favorite places were Luciano's in Lodi, Mt. Lakes Inn in Greenwood Lakes, The Parrot Club in Seaside Heights, and Garden House in Lydnhurst. Bobby was able to mention some brief history about the other members of the Knockouts. Starting with Eddie Parente who he says is alive and well living in North Jersey. The other two members passed away years back. The last member of the Knockouts Bob Catucci better known as Pierre LaSalle died of a fatal heart attack about 5 years back. This made my wife and I very sad since when the group was active we spent a lot of time with Pierre LaSalle and his loving wife Jerry. Jerry was a classmate and dear friend of my sister Marilyn, and I believe it was one of their trips to see the Knockouts where Jerry met Pierre. Jerry by the way is still alive, doing well and living in North Jersey.

After breakfast and rehashing old times, we took some pictures, exchanged phone numbers and addresses for feature get together. Bobby and Frank continued to play at the Resorts for the next few weeks and on March 23 the will be appearing at the WestBerry Music Hall in Long Island with other popular singers. Bobby still likes to fish and can not wait for the season to start.

Great show Bobby & Frank, good luck to both of you!

Your friends,

George & Jo-Ann Tuzzolino

Clifton, NJ

hughie wrote at 2013-08-11 05:33:37
OMG,...a Knockouts Blog...who would have thought? Takes me back to my single days when I'd try to  impress a date by taking her to Lucianos to see The Knockouts.  Everyone in the group had talent.  Remember Pierre La Salle used to do Fats Domino covers!  Thanks everyone for taking me back to my coming of age days.

POLACK 42 wrote at 2014-03-11 02:00:54
I SAW BOBBY ON FEB 14, 2014 AT THE DOO WOP SHOW IN BOCA RATON, FLORIDA AND HE CAN STILL SING DARLING LORRAINE JUST LIKE HE DID IN THE 60'S. HE CAN STILL DANCE AND GYRATE AS HE DID YEARS AGO. NOT BAD FOR AN 81 YEAR OLD. I REMEMBER SEEING THE KNOCKOUTS ALL OVER NJ. IN THE LATE 60S I WENT TO PUERTO RICO AND GUESS WHO THE ACT WAS IN THE HOTEL THERE. NONE OTHER THAN THE KNOCKOUTS. NOT ONLY COULD THEY SING BUT THEIR COMEDY ROUTINES WERE FABULOUS. HOW MANY OF YOU REMEMBER "WOODEN HEART". IF YOU CAN GET A COPY OF THEIR ALBUM "GO APE WITH THE KNOCKOUTS", THEIR UNIQUE SINGING IS WELL EVIDENT.

nick at nite wrote at 2014-04-24 05:50:40
Bobby D'Andrea from the Knockouts will be inducted into the N.J. Doo Wop & A cappella "Hall of Fame" on 4/26/14 at the Paramus Elks info at www.njdoowop.com

Dr. Rich Stiso wrote at 2015-01-08 15:06:24
I first saw The Knockouts at the Rahway Rec in '64 or '65 I think. Pierre LaSalle was the drummer. The place was packed. The next time that I saw them was at The Parrot Club on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights & I think it was '67-'68. The group consisted of Bobby D'Andrea, Eddie Parente, Mike Collins on guitar & Joe Signarella on drums. I remember one night in particular at The "Parroot" Club. During one of the comedy bits, I think it was Eddie who came up behind Bobby & pulled Bobby's zipper down & a moth flew out. I remember him saying something like "That just shows you how long it's been since I used it." The place went wild. I saw Bobby & Eddie perform "Darling Lorraine" on one of the PBS oldies shows a couple of years ago & they still sound great. That song is still one of my all-time favorites--never get tired of listening to it!  

judy Clark Frazier wrote at 2016-09-18 02:22:49
Takes me back to the Boom Boom Room in Birmingham, Al. in the mid sixties.  Met Bob and Eddie and saw them several times at the Boom Boom Room.  Then a few years later ran into them at Lucianos' in Lodi New Jersey.  The Knockouts were a great group and I loved to listen to them and enjoy the comedy.  Wish those kind of groups were still around.  

Oldies

Dave Silverstein