Oldies/Song with morse code spelled out

genez wrote at 2011-04-25 15:38:12
I'm not sure about the Morse code but "Western Union" by the Five Americans fits the rest. Just a thought

cranched wrote at 2011-08-18 19:50:58
Have you listened to "Western Union", by the Five Americans?

Erick Byrd wrote at 2011-11-02 02:28:14
A few readers reference "Western Union" by The Five Americans.  I had considered this but their Morse code singing, the "da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da..." part, doesn't actually spell anything.  It's just singing to sound like Morse code. And the lyrics are the opposite sentiment of "I love you".  The telegram received in the song is a breakup letter.  However, I do admit that I should have included that information in my original answer.  Thanks

Vern G wrote at 2012-10-15 05:13:27
I recall the song you are addressing. We were on a ship to Vietnam, nearing Okinawa we heard it a few times. The only research I've found if even correct it was sung/recorded by a local service combo? Dit Dit, Dit Dah Dit Dit, Dah, Dah, Dah, Ditty Dit Dah Dit (and more) then the chorus "Means I Love You" Song started with something like "I'm a Lonely Operator on a far away island" or something to that effect. I have never found a copy either and would LOVE to at least have the real lyrics. I have the melody in my head .... yet! We were a lot of  Morse Code operators in our company. (Army Security Agency) we operated in Vietnam under cover name "Radio Research"

Verng wrote at 2012-10-15 05:22:04
From a letter I sent to my sister from Vietnam dated Sept. 6, 1966: I’m wondering if you or Norm has heard the song

“Di Dit” or “Dit - Dit”.  We heard it on the ship coming in

to Okinawa.  We couldn’t believe it, there is Morse Code

on the record and the chorus is made up of singing code

that spells out “I Love You”.  If you heard of it or can get

it, I’d appreciate it if you’d get a copy and save it for me.

Vern G wrote at 2012-10-15 05:29:04
We heard the song on Army Forces Radio. If it was a local combo it may have been recorded on tape and an actual hard copy  "record" never made or released. Just a bunch of local Radio Op Musicians. That's the best I've been able to glean from this. - And yes, I can sing it in my head, as I still remember the melody, the first line, the catch line, but the middle?? I only heard it 2 or 3 times while we passed by Oki on way to the war. Hope this helps.

RogerW wrote at 2013-05-10 17:23:59
I believe there was a version by Tommy Steele from about 1960 or so - but seem to recall the song itself originates from a pre-WW2 musical about the infamous Dr Crippen and how he was caught in America only by the fact that it was possible to radio-telegraph his escape from Britain.

rogerW wrote at 2013-05-10 17:54:05
Found a link - it is known as the "Dit Dit song"

Bob S wrote at 2016-09-08 23:58:47
I have been trying to find this song for over 40 years.  

It must have been commercially recorded because I heard it, but only once,on WOR AM radio from New York City in about 1968-1970 at about 10 o'clock on a Sunday morning.

This was on a weekend music and talk show hosted by John A. Gambling. (Not his daily early morning show.)

Mr. Gambling, his father before him, and his son after him, were on WOR for a total of about 75 years.

The name of the song was probably logged by the station for royalty payments and I have always wondered if somebody (either the station or Mr. Gambling's family) might still have the log, but haven't had the nerve to ask them.

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.