Oldies/Fairy Tales old music

Hi Lou:

Any chance that you know who wrote the music and Lyrics to Fairy Tales (the one sung by Ella and the Mills Brothers)?  Do you know of any soundtrack of it without the lyrics?  I want to use it in a history lecture presentation without incurring copyright fees--so if someone plays it for me or someone else sings it, is this allowable?  Thanks!

Hi Hazel

I believe Fairy Tales was written by a man named Weitz back in the 1930's. I don't know of any instrumental version, although there must have been at least one back when the song was new.
Regarding your usage of the melody, there is no fee as long as you're not charging any money to hear it performed.

Thanks for asking,

Lou Simon

I can answer questions about many artists, songs or records from 1940-1990. I can often help with song lyrics, artist bio or other information requested

I have programmed oldies radio stations about the USA and have written for radio networks that specialize in oldies programming.