Oldies/Fairy Tales old music

Question
Hi Lou:

Any chance that you know who wrote the music and Lyrics to Fairy Tales (the one sung by Ella and the Mills Brothers)?  Do you know of any soundtrack of it without the lyrics?  I want to use it in a history lecture presentation without incurring copyright fees--so if someone plays it for me or someone else sings it, is this allowable?  Thanks!
Hazel

Answer
Hi Hazel

I believe Fairy Tales was written by a man named Weitz back in the 1930's. I don't know of any instrumental version, although there must have been at least one back when the song was new.
Regarding your usage of the melody, there is no fee as long as you're not charging any money to hear it performed.

Thanks for asking,

Lou

Oldies

Lou Simon