Oldies/Song I heard in "Robocop 2".

I have a question that I hope you'll be able to help with. Recently, I was watching the movie "Robocop 2" and there's a scene in the movie where I heard a guy performing a violin version of Steppenwolf's song "Born To Be Wild" and even though it was a violin version I, surprisingly, liked it, in fact, I liked it better than the original version. So far, I tried finding this on itunes a few times already but it looks like they don't have it. I was wondering three things; 1)Is there a soundtrack for the movie "Robocop 2"? 2)If so, does it have the violin version of "Born To Be Wild"? 3)And, if it does, does it say who did this version of the song, or was it made just strictly for the movie?

Hi David,

I found the clip from Robocop 2 that you're referencing:  The performer is Yogi Baird, a contortionist fiddler who became famous after appearing on the TV show That's Incredible in 1983 and then later featured in The National Inquirer tabloid.  Here is a link to a bio:

Regarding your questions, there was a soundtrack to Robocop 2 released by the Varese Sarabande label, but it did not include this performance. It only contains the musical score for the movie. So, my guess is that the song was just done for the movie.

I don't know whether Yogi Baird has released his version of "Born To Be Wild" elsewhere.  The bio/webpage references his third album which does not include the song. I can't locate information on the two previous albums.  These were likely self-produced or produced by a small independent label and not distributed on a large scale.

I've asked Yogi directly (through Facebook: whether his recording of "Born To Be Wild" is available anywhere.  I haven't heard back yet, but if I get a response, I'll update this answer.

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.