Oldies/The Four Voices

I tried to find some history on The Four Voices, the quartet from the '50 and didn't have any luck.
Do you have any bio information on them?

Hi Don

Here is a little something about this very talented vocal group:

The Four Voices, despite their lack of big hits, set a high standard for their peers. The Lineup was Allan Chase, Lead Tenor; Sal Mayo, Tenor; William McBride, Baritone; and Frank Fosta, Bass. Mitch Miller signed The Four Voices to Columbia after seeing them on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts.

The group often recorded with Ray Coniff, and sometimes under the direction of Fred Weismantel, who composed the hit "Lovely One" and a number of their other songs. Weismantel once worked as an arranger for Glenn Miller, wrote Bullmoose Jackson's double-entendre R&B classic "Big Ten Inch Record," and arranged many of the Duprees' recordings.

"Lovely One" was a top twenty hit in the spring of 1956 and stayed on the charts for 16 weeks. Their follow-up, "Dance with my shadows" didn't do nearly as well.
The Group then recorded the original version of Bryan Hyland's chartbusters "Sealed with a Kiss" in 1960 without success.

They Broke up while Alan Chase and Sal Mayo tried a couple of solos with no luck.
In 1962 the Four Voices reunited and did a new version of "Lovely One" for Peacock records, but separated again after that one didn't make the grade.

Thanks for asking,

Lou Simon

I can answer questions about many artists, songs or records from 1940-1990. I can often help with song lyrics, artist bio or other information requested

I have programmed oldies radio stations about the USA and have written for radio networks that specialize in oldies programming.