Oldies/50's group: "the Cheers"

Have been told "the Cheers" (Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots) became another group, with much more success. Any help?

Thanx, Phil

Hi Phil,

The Cheers, a pop vocal trio from Los Angeles, were a two-hit wonder, reaching #14 in 1954 with "(Bazoom) I Need Your Lovin')" and #6 in 1955 with "Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots". The Cheers broke up in 1957 and did not reform or evolve into a more successful group. Aside from their two hits, the group was famous for being the start of an entertainment career for TV personality Bert Convey, famous as the host of game shows Tattletales, Super Password and Win Lose or Draw.

The other members of The Cheers were Gil Garfield and Sue Allen. Garfield was later successful as a songwriter and in real estate. Sue Allen went on to become a successful backup singer and was at one time a member of The Ray Conniff Singers and The Mel-Tones (Mel Torme's backup). Sue Allen eventually made it back to the Top 40 in 1978 with the female disco quartet Tuxedo Junction, reaching #32 with a retro big band-disco version of "Chattanooga Choo Choo".

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.