Oldies/50's group: "the Cheers"

Question
Have been told "the Cheers" (Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots) became another group, with much more success. Any help?

Thanx, Phil

Answer
Hi Phil,

The Cheers, a pop vocal trio from Los Angeles, were a two-hit wonder, reaching #14 in 1954 with "(Bazoom) I Need Your Lovin')" and #6 in 1955 with "Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots". The Cheers broke up in 1957 and did not reform or evolve into a more successful group. Aside from their two hits, the group was famous for being the start of an entertainment career for TV personality Bert Convey, famous as the host of game shows Tattletales, Super Password and Win Lose or Draw.

The other members of The Cheers were Gil Garfield and Sue Allen. Garfield was later successful as a songwriter and in real estate. Sue Allen went on to become a successful backup singer and was at one time a member of The Ray Conniff Singers and The Mel-Tones (Mel Torme's backup). Sue Allen eventually made it back to the Top 40 in 1978 with the female disco quartet Tuxedo Junction, reaching #32 with a retro big band-disco version of "Chattanooga Choo Choo".

Thanks,
Erick

Oldies

Erick Byrd