Oldies/What is this song?

When I was a child I use to hear this certain oldies song on the radio but I don't remember the title of the song or who does it, I just remember the singer's voice being a woman's voice and all I know right now are these lyrics; "Don't be shy, Don't be shy". And "Hey baby". And I vaguely remember also hearing this lyric which, I think, says "Beachwood 45789" but I'm not totally sure about that last part and I was wondering what this song could be and what the name of the female singer is?

Hi David,

The song you're looking for is "Beechwood 4-5789" by Motown act The Marvelettes. The song reached #17 on Billboard's US Hot 100 chart in 1962 and reached #7 on the US R&B chart.  The lead vocal is by Gladys Horton.  Here is a link to a YouTube recording:

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.