Oldies/record distortion

i am in the process of transferring old venal LPS ONTO CDS. DURING THE TRANSFER  I am receiving background noises . These noises are faint but noticeable. I don't know if the problem is with the stylus or the records. Can you help me resolve this problem?

Joe: Yoiu didn't explain the method you are using to transfer. Are yiu using one of those new Ion (or similar) turntables with a USB plug into yiur PC?  They come with software to filter out some noise. If it's a buzzing sound it may have to do with a connection. If the Vinyl Lps have no extraneous noise - like surfice noise, then it's in you connection or software I would doubt it would be the stylus.

Hope that helps!

Steve Ramm

My expertise is in REAL OLDIES from 1890s- 1930. 78s as well as Edison Cylinders. I can also answer some Phonograph questions though I'm not a repair person

35 years of collecting as well as reviewing reissues of this material. I've taught a number of antique classes on early record collecting.

Member of various phonograph societies around the world as well as the Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC)

Discoveries, Antique Phonograph News, In The Groove