Oldies/record distortion

Question
i am in the process of transferring old venal LPS ONTO CDS. DURING THE TRANSFER  I am receiving background noises . These noises are faint but noticeable. I don't know if the problem is with the stylus or the records. Can you help me resolve this problem?

Answer
Joe: Yoiu didn't explain the method you are using to transfer. Are yiu using one of those new Ion (or similar) turntables with a USB plug into yiur PC?  They come with software to filter out some noise. If it's a buzzing sound it may have to do with a connection. If the Vinyl Lps have no extraneous noise - like surfice noise, then it's in you connection or software I would doubt it would be the stylus.

Hope that helps!

Oldies

Steve Ramm