Oldies/Philadelphia Transit Company Band

Bill Cox, 1930
Bill Cox, 1930  
What year did the Philadelphia Transit Company Band dissolve? I initially read it was 1926 (under John Phillip Sousa's direction when Willow Grove Park closed). Then I read a few days ago that it was after their 25th anniversary in 1947. My late father, according to military records, played saxophone in the band from 1938 to 1943 when he enlisted in the Army. This doesn't make sense if the band dissolved in 1926. Any light you can shed regarding venues they performed at after Willow Grove Park closed would be appreciated. Iím writing a memoir and want to make sure my facts are correct. Thanks very much.

Hi Lillian: The PRTB may have continued into the 1940s and you father may have played in it. But the band did NOT record for Victor after 1926.

You might want to email or call the Philadelphia History Museum (formerly the Atwater Kent Museum). Either they or the Pennsylvania Historical Society might have further details on the band's non-recording performances  Google them

Hope I helped some.

Steve Ramm

My expertise is in REAL OLDIES from 1890s- 1930. 78s as well as Edison Cylinders. I can also answer some Phonograph questions though I'm not a repair person

35 years of collecting as well as reviewing reissues of this material. I've taught a number of antique classes on early record collecting.

Member of various phonograph societies around the world as well as the Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC)

Discoveries, Antique Phonograph News, In The Groove