Oldies/find a song

Question
I am a long term Doris Day fan.  I am not alone.  Part of her history states that bandleader Barney Rapp, with whom she performed for a short time when she started, named her after a song she sang called "Day After Day" (not to be confused with "Day By Day", a hit she had with Les Brown).  That said, we know that Doris never recorded the song or sang it on any existing radio show transcript, which seems very odd.
Odder than that, many of us have been searching and cannot even fidn a single recording of the song anywhere.  Even if not by Doris, we would love to hear the song for which she was named. PLEASE HELP!

Answer
Hi Mike,

The "Day After Day" that Doris Day sang (but didn't record) was composed by Richard Himber and Bud Green in 1938.  It was recorded that year by Richard Himber & His Rhythmic Pyramids Orchestra with vocal by Stuart Allen, and reached #4 on the U.S. chart for popular recordings. The song can be found at this link to a YouTube recording (at 14:46): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0xRVMP4cuU

The song was also recorded with a foxtrot rhythm by Artie Shaw and His Orchestra with Helen Forrest singing the vocals, also from 1938. Here is a YouTube link to a recording of that version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnSYmkfv8w

Thanks,
Erick

Oldies

Erick Byrd