Oldies/locate an old song

in the late 1930's and early 1940's, Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff was singing with the Barney Rapp Orchestra in Cincinatti, Ohio.  One of the songs she sang was called DAY AFTER DAY (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH "DAY BY DAY" which was a hit for her with Les Brown).
The significance of the song is that Rapp took her stage name (DAY) from the song because he liked the way she sang it.
We have been searching for a couple years and can find nothing.  Most sources confuse it with other songs.  We also cannot find any evidence of the song or any recording of it by anyone (we do know Doris never recorded it).  Can you enlighten us?  I would like to find a copy of someone singing it so we can play it on our radio station.  Thanks.

Hi Mike

The song Day After Day that Doris sang was written by Richard Himber. I did see a copy of the original 1938 sheet music on Amazon for sale:

And you can download the Artie Shaw recording with Helen Forrest's vocal:

Thanks for asking,

Lou Simon

I can answer questions about pop music from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. I can help track down hard to find songs based on lyric fragments or other minimal information. I was an expert in this field but due to a family situation, was away from e-mail for a couple of weeks and forgot to put in a vacation listing with AllExperts.

I have been answering questions for this site for a few years. It would be nice to be reinstated. I have no idea how many questions I have answered but many people have written to me to say how I have touched their lives by helping them locate a song that is important to them or a loved one.

I am a college graduate.