Oldies/THE DEMENSIONS vs. THE BAYSIDERS

Question
Lou,
The Demensions had their smash hit, "Over The Rainbow" here on the east coast. During that same month in 1960, a West coast group, The Baysiders released, the same song. I'd like to know, which group released it first. Listening to The Baysiders version, it's a spot on duplicate of The Demensions record in every way.......vocals, and instrumentation and arrangement, are just about identical. I'd like to know, who copied who, on this classic tune.
Thanks for your help Lou.
A real fan,
JOHN

Answer
Hi John

The late Seymour Barab, a noted composer and concert musician, did the arrangement for the Demensions record in NY when he was still a young man. (Seymour just passed away a few weeks ago, in his 90s).
The Demensions record, done for the guys at Laurie Records, was the real deal.
However, the Baysiders copied it note for note...not giving any credit to Seymour...and got it on to the west coast stations before Laurie could get theirs to national significance.
Happened all the time!

Thanks for asking,

Lou

Oldies

Lou Simon