Oldies/THE JORDANAIRES

Question
Lou,
I hope this is not considered a silly question...........
I'm a big Rick Nelson fan, and some folks don't know, that The Jordanaires did backup vocals on many of Rick's early hits.
Most of us know they did backup for Elvis, and their name was given billing on The King's records, but not Rick's. Because they were such a top notch group and were credited on Elvis' tunes, it always bothered me, that they weren't given credit on Rick's. Would you have an explanation for this?
Thanks for your time Lou,
JOHN

Answer
Hi John
Might just have been a case of Elvis' generosity in helping The Jordanaires get more exposure and proper credit. Today, it would be contractual. Back in the 50s, it might just have been his nature to give them the label mention. Elvis approached the group after hearing them perform with Eddy Arnold back when Elvis was still on Sun, saying he'd like to use them someday. So, he had a great interest in keeping them working with him, live and in the studio, and maybe one way to win their affection was to help brand them with the record buyers. They, themselves, had deals with both Capitol and Decca through those years.

Ricky didn't give anyone credit for much of anything. Just simple label copy. As I recall, even his albums didn't list personnel.

Thanks

Lou

Oldies

Lou Simon