Oldies/RECORD LABEL SUBSIDIARIES

Question
Lou,why was it back in the day, that many big labels like,
Decca, MGM. Liberty etc, had so many smaller subsidiary labels?
The list is endless, and I don't understand why they existed!
Your show and all the info you offer, is awesome!
Thanks,
JOHN

Answer
Hi John
Some were focused on a particular sound, like Rock and Roll acts....or newer, lesser known artists.
Some were done for tax purposes, as a write-off.
Some were developed so that they had a few "brands" and could get simultaneous airplay, since many radio stations had a policy against playing too many songs on one label, fearful of looking like they were favoring one company (in the heat of the payola years). So, by having a subsidiary label, it was a little less obvious.
Sometimes, they wanted to sign more acts but just didn't want their roster to get too bloated because the artists felt that they wouldn't get enough attention from the record company if the stable grew too large.
Politics. Economics. Appearance.
A myriad of reasons.

Lou

Oldies

Lou Simon