Oldies/Lyric Meaning

Question
Hello:

A popular group from the 1960's known as The Who had a song entitled "My Generation." Part of the lyrics from the song is "...I hope I die before I get old."

Does this part of the song indicate that the people from this time period want to continue thinking as if they were still young, and not die before they start thinking like an old person, or are these lyrics to be taken literally as if to die before a certain old age?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Kenneth- I was in charge of security for their performance at the Pavilion in Flushing Meadow Park NY. John Bonham had too much to drink and puked on stage and tipped over on his drums. He was taken off stage and the group finished the set without him.

From Wikipedia- "On a later interview for Good Morning America, in 1989, the band was discussing the upcoming 1989 tour to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Tommy, and Townshend talked about the famous line "I hope I die before I get old." He said that, for him, when he wrote the lyrics, "old" meant "very rich." He apparently had mixed feelings about success and all its negative aspects.

I hope this answers your question. Have a happy holiday season. Stu

Oldies

Stu Reben