Oldies/Vocalist on The Ink Spots version of "I Understand"

Hello... A version of "I understand", apparently by the Ink Spots appears on the soundtrack of the movie "Trees Lounge". I'm interested in finding out the name of the lead singer on this version, which appears to be performed live in a small club.

The lyrics are credited to Kim Gannon, Music by Mabel Wayne.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sorry but I cannot be sure of the corrwect answer to this question. However, here is a copy of the first entry on Google.

The Ink Spots were an American vocal group popular in the 1930s and 1940s. Their music led to the rhythm and blues and rock and roll musical genres, and the subgenre doo-wop. The group was widely accepted in both the white and black communities, largely due to the ballad style introduced to the group by lead singer Bill Kenny. The group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1989. Since the Ink Spots disbanded in 1954, there have been well over 100 vocal groups calling themselves "the Ink Spots" without any right to the name, and without any original members of the group. These groups often have claimed to be "2nd generation" or "3rd generation" Ink Spots. Many such groups are still touring today.[1][2]

The Ink Spots songs often began with a four-bar guitar riff, using the chords I - #idim - ii7 - V7, followed by the tenor Bill Kenny, who sang the whole song through. After Kenny finished singing, the bass would either recite the first half, or the bridge of the song, or would speak the words, almost in a free form, that were not part of the song, commonly using the words "Honey Child", or "Honey Babe", expressing his love for his darling in the song. This was followed by Kenny, who finished up singing the last refrain or the last half of the song. On some songs Deek Watson would sing the lead rather than Bill Kenny. This was mostly on the uptempo "Jive" songs.

Hope that this helps

Sean Wright

If you want to know who recorded what, when and how did it fare on the pop charts then give me a call! UK releases are a speciality!

I have written two catalogue books (published) on 28,000 45rpm records listing "A' & "B" side titles, Artist, Year of Release, chart placing in UK & USA. I was also Auckland's top mobile DJ for 17 years.

Inaugural President Auckland Rock n Roll Club. Inaugural President Sounds Of The Sixties Club

45rpm Records Released In NZ (co-authored with Tony Martin)

University degree (Business Management)