Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/1988 oldsmobile 98 heater vents

Question
QUESTION: my heater motor runs fine,but no air comes out of any of the vents.I've checked for vaccum and I have vaccum all the way to the junction box behind the glove box.When I activate the def/heater or vent button you hear a click behind the glove box but nothing happens. Is there a relay that is bad? If so where is it located? what are the fuses and relays located behind the glove box?

ANSWER: HI GREG, THE PROBLEM IS NOT A RELAY OR BAD FUSE. THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE BLEND DOOR IS STUCK OR THE VACUUM SOLENOID THAT MOVES THE DOOR TO OPEN IT AND ALLOW HEAT AND A/C IN IS BROKEN. THE CLICK YOU HEAR IS MORE THEN LIKELY THE GEAR THAT OPERATES THIS IS SLIPPING OR BROKEN..[MISSING TEETH]. YOU WILL NEED TO GET UNDER THE DASH AND MOVE THE CONTROL LEVER FROM HEAT AND DEFROST AND VENT AND SEE IF YOU CAN SEE WHICH SOLENOID IS NOT WORKING. YOU MAYBE ABLE TO MANUALLY MOVE THIS DOOR AND TRY TO WIRE IT OPEN FOR THE TIME BEING JUST TO GET HEAT INTO THE CABIN..BUT YOU WILL NEED TO DO SOME UNDER DASH WORK TO REPAIR THIS..SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

QUESTION: On this same car 1988 olds 98 my service engine light is on ,so I hooked up to a computer and it tells me the camshaft sensor is bad. I replaced the sensor,but no change in the way the engine runs. car will not start when it is warm,cold no problem.I believe the camshaft magnet as come off,if so where do I get one and how do I know the proper place it needs to place? Can it be put on thru the sensor opening?

Answer
HI GREG,YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE TIMING CASE COVER TO REPLACE THIS..THERE WAS A TSB ON THIS PROBLEM..IT IS VERY STRANGE THAT THIS WILL START COLD BUT NOT HOT..WHEN THE CAR IS COLD IT IS IN OPEN LOOP [SO THINGS DO NOT HAVE TO BE SO PRECISE] ONCE IT IS HEATED UP IT GOES INTO CLOSED LOOP AND THE TIMING STARTS TO SET ITSELF KILLING THE ENG .THE OTHER PROBLEM MAYBE THE TIMING CHAIN HAS JUST STRETCHED SO MUCH CAUSING THIS CODE AS WELL...ONCE YOU REMOVE THE COVER YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE TIMING GEARS WITH A NEW CHAIN AS WELL AS THE NEW GM UPDATE FOR THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET GEAR SET WHICH WILL HAVE A SPRING LOADED BUTTOM ON IT TO HOLD THE CAMSAHFT IN PLACE SO AS NOT TO MOVE BACK AND FORTH TAKING OUT THE CAMSHAFT PICK-UP.THE SENSOR, PICK UP WILL BE ON THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET..IT REALLY SOUNDS ALOT HARDER THEN IT IS..THE HARDEST PART WILL BE REMOVING THE HARMONIC BALANCER ONCE THIS IS OFF THE WATER PUMP AND FRONT COVER WILL COME OFF EASY..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...
HI AGAIN GREG,,, I JUST GOT YOUR REPLY ON NO AIR COMING INTO THE HEATER VENTS [THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK TO ME] AND YOU SAID THE CONDENSOR WAS PLUGGED NOT ALLOWING ANY AIR TO PASS THROUGH THE HEATER CORE..I THINK YOU MENT TO SAY THE AIR/COND EVAPORATOR WHICH IS UNDER THE DASH BY THE HEATER CORE..YES IF THIS IS PLUGGED IT WILL STOP OR SLOW DOWN THE AIR FLOW..THIS MUST OF BEEN VERY PLUGGED TO DO THIS..IS THE EVAP WET WITH OIL FROM FREON ??IF IT IS THIS WILL ATTRACT ALL KINDS OF LEAVES AND HOLD IT IN PLACE,ALSO IF IT IS WET THE A/C PROBABLY WILL NOT WORK. THE A/C CONDENSOR IS IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,,TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS