Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/94' Park Avenue brake drums

Question
Hi Tom,
I am getting ready to service the rear drum brakes on my vehicle. The shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware will all be replaced. My question involves the drums themselves. If there is only light scoring and/or grooving, I have read that the drum surface can be smoothed out with sandpaper rather than being machined. Is this true and would you recommend it? If so, what grit sandpaper would be best to use? Thanks for your time.

Answer
HI RENNIE,AS LONG AS THE GROOVES ARE NOT REAL DEEP LIKE MORE THEN 0.10 OF A INCH I WOULD JUST USE SAND PAPER AS WELL..I WOULD USE REAL COURSE PAPER.SLIGHT GROOVES WILL CAUSE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE BRAKES....IF THE GROOVES ARE DEEPER THEN ABOVE I WOULD HAVE THEM MACHINED SURFACE. SHOULD COST YOU NO MORE THEN $25.00..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK.TOM...

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS