Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/car won't start

Question
so for the past week or so my 2001 Olds Alero has taken a long time to start producing heat (about a half hour of driving). Then, on the first really cold morning of the year, she wouldn't start. I got more than just clicking when I turned the key, but the engine just wouldn't turn over. Since my battery was more than 5 years old, I replaced it, but that didn't do any good. How exactly does one pinpoint the cause of a car not starting?

Answer
GM JEFF,OKI DOES THE ENGINE CRANK OVER AS DOES THE STARTER TURN THE ENGINE OVER..IF NO THEN IT IS POSSIBLE YOU HAVE A BAD STARTER,NEUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH OR IGNITION SWITCH..BUT IS IT DOES CRANK OVER THEN YOU HAVE EITHER NO FUEL,NO SPARK OR ENG MECHANICAL PROBLEM..WHEN YOU SAY YOU GOT MORE THEN A CLICK DO YOU MEAN THE ENG DID CRANK OVER ??? LETS SAY IT DOES CRANK OVER. REMOVE A SPARK PLUG WIRE AND CRANK THE ENG OVER TO SEE IF THERE IS SPARK.RESET THE WIRE AGAINST SOM METAL OBJECT, IF THERE IS SPARK NEXT IS TO CK FOR FUEL TO THE FUEL RAIL..REMOVE THE CHECK PORT CAP ON THE FUEL RAIL [WILL LOOK LIKE A TIRE VALVE STEM CAP] AND PUSH DOWN ON THE VALVE INSIDE WHILE SOMEONE CRANKS THE ENG OVER. THERE SHOUD BE FUEL COMING OUT OF THIS WHILE THE ENTIRE TIME THE ENG CRANKS OVER NOT JUST THE FIRST SECOND.THIS IS CALLED RESIDUAL PRESSURE. WE NEED FUEL THE ENTIRE TIME THE ENG CRANKS OVER..LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND AND WE WILL GO FROM THERE...GOOD LUCK,,, TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS