Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/1987 Olds Toronado hard start in cold weather

Question
QUESTION: We recently replaced the MAF on this auto because of starting problem with backfiring. It corrected the problem. Now that the weather has turned colder the auto is hard starting with sputtering and backfiring. What do you think? Thank you

ANSWER: HI DONALD,  SORRY ABOUT THAT, THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT. .WELL THIS FIRST THING I WOULD DO WITH THIS CAR IS GET IT SCANNED WITH A GOOD SCAN TOOL AND HAVE THEM CHECK THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR TO SEE WHAT THE COOLANT TEMP IS READING ON THE SCAN TOOL..THESE SENSORS FAILED A LOT. IF THE SENSOR IS READING SAY 180 DEGREES WHEN YOU FIRST START THE CAR UP AFTER SITTING ALL NIGHT THE FUEL WILL NOT BE RICH ENOUGH TO LET IT RUN SMOOTH. KINDA OF LIKE THE OLD CARS WITH A CARBURETOR CHOKE SET UP. IF THE CHOKE DID NOT CLOSE THE ENGINE RAN VERY LEAN CAUSING THE ABOVE PROBLEMS...THE OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEM IS A OXYGEN SENSOR HAS SHORTED OUT CAUSING EITHER A LEAN OR RICH CONDITION..LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM....

QUESTION: Hi Tom:
I sent you a thank you note but I had another question. Do you think it is advisable to replace the timing chain or belt. This is an 1987 Olds Toronado and has 95,000 miles. It runs very good now that we have replace the MAF and coolant temp sensor. What do you think? Bless you

Answer
HI DONALD,,WELL AS LONG AS YOU WERE GOOD ABOUT CHANGING THE ENGINE OIL EVERY 3 TO 4K I WOULD NOT REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN..THEY LAST A WHILE..IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ABOUT KEEPING YOUR OIL CHANGED THEN IT IS A 50 50 THING..AS LONG AS THE ENG IS RUNNING GOOD AND NO CK ENG LIGHT ON...I WOULD NOT DO IT. JUST KEEP CHANGING THAT OIL....HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,,TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS