Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/92 Buick LaSabre

Question
Car has 190K+ miles. Original transmission. Reverse is working intermittently, any ideas? Valve spring is good (not broken). Does not appear to be much debris in the valve body, fluid level is good and does not look burned. All forward gears operating as normal.
Thank you.

Answer
HI PAUL,WELL IF THE FLUID LEVEL IS FULL AND THE GEAR SELECTOR IS WORKING PROPERLY NOT BROKEN OR WHAT EVER..THE ONLY 2 THINGS THAT IT COULD BE IS THE REAR CLUTCHES OR LEAKY SEAL TO THE DRUM..LAST WOULD BE IF THE FLUID IS THICK OR FILTER IS DIRTY...I KNOW YOU SAID THE FLUID LOOKS GOOD. BUT REVERSE GEAR TAKES MORE PRESSURE INTERNALLY TO GET THE DRUM TO LOCK UP.. SO BEFORE YOU TEAR THE TRANSMISSION OUT OF THIS CAR IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD DROP THE PAN AND INSTALL NEW FLUID AND A FILTER..FILL ER WITH FRESH DEXRON 3 OIL AND KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND VERY GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,SIR.... TOM..

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS