Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/wheel bearings

Question
Would like your advice please...a mechanic showed me that the tires on my '96 Geo Tracker 4x4 had some play in them and said the bearings were going and they should be replaced (Cleaned, repacked with new seals for about $175). He also said that because I don't drive much, that can cause the bearings to go out faster than if I drove it a lot. Then he of course told me in detail how it could be dangerous leaving them as is, especially with winter coming up. Like I told him, in 6 months I plan on trading the vehicle in, so hated to put more money into it. I let them do the work but can't help but wonder if he exaggerated the risks and I could have driven it for at least 6 months without a problem.
What do you think?

Answer
HI LEE,,,WELL FIRST OFF BY NOT DRIVING A CAR WILL NOT MAKE THE WHEEL BEARINGS GOING BAD,, NO WAY...IF THE BEARINGS HAD PLAY IN THEM AS YOU SAY [WHEEL MOVEMENT] THEN YES I AGREE,CLEANING AND REPACKING THEM IS THE WAY TO GO, THIS IS OF COURSE AFTER CLEANING AND REPACKING THEM HE WAS ABLE TO TAKE UP ALL THE RUN OUT IN THEM, THEN THEY ARE OK. [RUN OUT MEANS NO MORE WHEEL MOVEMENT AFTER BEING ADJUSTED]IF THEY STILL HAD RUN OUT THEN THESE WOULD NEED TO BE REPLACED.I USUALLY ADJUST THEM FIRST TO SEE IF I CAN REMOVE ALL THE RUN OUT IN THEM,IF SO THEN I CLEAN AND REPACK THEM,IF NOT I REPLACE THEM. BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY COULD LOCK UP ON YOU WHICH WOULD DESTROY THE HUB AND BRAKE ROTOR AND POSSIBLY LOOSE A WHEEL..ITS JUST NOW WORTH LOOSING YOUR LIFE OVER...
HOPE THIS HELPS YOU,,TOM...

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS