Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/1999 Olds Silhouette overhead display/air shock compressor

Question
I recently purchased a 1999 Olds Silhouette van for my work vehicle. Among some annoying issues, the overhead display lights up but only the direction/temperature display works. All the other displays light up but are stuck on a previous reading. Is there some way to reset this? The van did not come with an owner's manual.

Secondly, any time the ignition switch is on, whether the van is running or on auxiliary, a compressor in the rear of the van starts running. There is an on/off switch, but pushing it to OFF has no effect. What is the cure?

Answer
HI GLEN, WELL BAD NEWS ABOUT THE OVERHEAD DISPLAY. THIS IS A PRINTED CIRCUIT. MOST OFTEN THE CIRCUIT GOES BAD CAUSING ONE OR ALL FUNCTIONS TO NOT DISPLAY OR COULD ALSO GO DARK..TRY GETTING A USED DISPALY IF YOU CAN FIND ONE IN YOUR LOCAL BONEYARD...
YOUR SECOND QUESTION IS FOR THE AIR COMPRESSOR FOR THE REAR SHOCKS..THIS SHOULD NOT RUN ALL THE TIME, JUST WHEN THE VAN NEEDS TO BE LIFTED TO ITS SPEC HEIGHT. MORE THEN LIKELY THERE IS A BREAK IN THE AIR SHOCK LINE CAUSING IT TO BLEED OUT..THIS SWITCH WILL NOT TURN OFF THE COMPRESSOR UNTILL THE HEIGHT HAS BEEN MET..ONCE MET, YOU THEN CAN TURN OFF THE SWITCH..HOWEVER IF THIS IS NOT WHAT IS GOING ON THE SWITCH COULD BE BAD OR WIRING TO THIS IS BAD...THE BEST WAY AND LESS EXPENSIVE WAY TO CORRECT THIS IS TO GET A SET OF AFTERMARKET AIR SHOCKS IF AND ONLY IF YOU CARRY ALOT OF WEIGHT. IF NOT ALOT OF WEIGHT IS CARRIED JUST GET SOME GOOD GAS CHARGED SHOCKS.. THEN UNPLUG THE COMPRESSOR AND TOSS OUT ALL THER FACTORY AIR LINES..LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE INFO,,GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...  

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS