Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/Blower motor

Question
Hi Tom. I have a 2002 century custom. A year ago the low speed blower stopped working. Today the blower fan stopped working on any speed. A few times after it stopped working,when turning on the blower after starting the car (any speed except low) I could hear the motor start very slowly and increase speed to about 1/2 of normal and then wind down to nothing, taking about 30 seconds to cycle. The low and high speed fuses look good so I assumed it was time to change the resister. Just put it back together and still not working on any speed, but I do hear a click type sound from around the motor someplace when switching to 2nd highest and highest fan speeds. I did not see any evidence of burned wires on any of the connectors. What is my next move?

Thanks for your time.

Kerry.

Answer
HI KERRY, WELL MORE THEN LIKELY THIS WILL NEED A NEW BLOWER MOTOR..IF YOU HAVE A TEST LIGHT CK FOR POWER ON THE ORANGE WIRE GOING TO THE BLOWER MOTOR WITH THE KEY ON AND BLOWER MOTOR SPEED ON HIGH,IF THE TEST LIGHT TURNS ON YOU KNOW THERE IS POWER TO THE MOTOR AND THEREFORE THE MOTOR IS BAD, PROVIDING THERE IS A GOOD GROUND TO THE MOTOR,WHICH USUALLY ALWAYS IS...THE RESISTOR WILL ONLY CONTROL THE LOWER SPEEDS OF THE MOTOR. SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT IF THE THE MOTOR ONLY WORKS ON HIGH SPEED AND NOT LOWER SPEEDS THE RESISTOR IS AT FAULT..
THE CLICKING YOU HEAR IS THE RELAY MORE THEN LIKELY SENDING POWER TO THE MOTOR BUT THE MOTOR IS BAD..FOR A QUICK TEST YOU COULD TURN THE BLOWER MOTOR ON HIGH AND TAP IT WITH A SCREW DRIVER HANDLE,THIS MAY START IT WORKING FOR JUST A WHILE,IF IT DOES START LIKE THIS THE MOTOR IS FOR SURE BAD..I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS