Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/no brake lights, 88 cutlass ciera int

Question
all running lights, turn signals, reverse lights are working. I have no brake lights, emergency flashers or cruise control. I put a new brake light switch with no change. there is another switch above brake light switch but with a vacuum hose going to cruise unit. all fuses and bulbs are good. I have no idea what to check next. I would appreciate any information you could give, can you please help!! sincerely, Ken

Answer
HI KEN,THIS IS FAIRLY COMMON..YOUR CAR MORE THEN LIKELY NEEDS A NEW TURN SIGNAL SWITCH..THIS IS UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL ITSELF.. WHEEL NEEDS TO BE REMOVED AND UNDER THERE IS THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH. YOU SEE THE BRAKE LIGHTS AND 4 WAY FLASHERS GETS ITS POWER FROM HERE..THE CRUISE CONTROL MAY OR MAY NOT BE AFFECTED BY THIS..USUALLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE CRUISE CONTROL IS THE WIRES GOING THROUGH THE TURN SIGNAL STALK BREAK FROM USING THE SIGNAL ALL THE TIME..IF YOU CK FOR POWER AT THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH YOU WILL MORE THEN LIKELY FIND NO POWER THERE..IF THERE IS POWER THERE AND YOU JUMP THIS CONNECTION YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS SHOULD WORK IF ALL THE WIRING TO THE REAR OF CAR IS OK..BUT BEING THAT YOU HAVE REPLACED THE BL SWITCH CHANCES ARE THE WIRING TO THE REAR OF CAR IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM..IT IS IN YOUR TURN SIGNAL SWITCH. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE INFO AND GOOD LUCK TO YU,,,TOM..

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS