Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/question about my car

Question
does a fuel pump go out all of a sudden or partly..cause my car will run but when i drive it for awhile it will just die if i didnt give it gas..and this is when im driving the car

Answer
GOOD MORNING DEBBIE, WELL DEB THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT CAN CAUSE THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM..BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION A FUEL PUMP CAN DO THIS, BUT 90% OF THE TIME WHEN A GM PUMP FAILS IT IS DONE FOR...THIS MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR..THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL KNOW FOR SURE IS LET THE ENG DIE,OPEN THE HOOD AND LOOK FOR THE FUEL RAIL AND ON TOP OF THE FUEL RAIL YOU WILL SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A TIRE VALVE CAP. REMOVE THE CAP AND PUSH DOWN ON THE VALVE AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY GAS THAT COMES OUT OF THIS WHEN YOU PUSH DOWN ON THE SHRADER VALVE..ALSO IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU HAVE THEM CRANK THE ENGINE OVER WHILE YOU ARE HOLDING DOWN ON THE VALVE. ALL THE WHILE THE ENG IS CRANKING OVER THERE SHOULD BE FUEL COMING OUT OF THE VALVE, NOT JUST FOR A SECOND THE ENTIRE TIME..IF NO FUEL IS HERE MORE THEN LIKELY THE PUMP HAS FAILED..BUT IF THERE IS FUEL THEN I WOULD GET THIS CAR SCANNED AT A SHOP THAT CAN PERFORM A LIVE DATA TEST WITH THERE SCAN TOOL AND CK FOR ANY PROBLEMS. ALSO IF THE CK ENG LIGHT IS ON GET THIS ADDRESSED AT THE SAME TIME BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING... I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS